The Big Five term was used by African big-game hunters and later adopted by the local tourist industry. Recently it has been adapted to the Pantanal in Brazil. Here's our Big Five collection.
All pictures were taken during regular tourist outings and show from top left, clockwise:
- A South American tapir (Tapirus terrestris, anta) and a flock of whistling ducks.
- A yellow anaconda (Eunectes notaeus, sucuri) killing a blue-and-yellow macaw.
- A giant otter (Pteronura brasiliensis, ariranha) eating fish.
- A giant anteater (Myrmecophaga tridactyla, tamanduá-bandeira) with a baby on it's back.
- A jaguar (Panthera onca, onça-pintada) stalking capybaras.